The Sellers Checklist: Simple Thing You Can Do Before You Sell Your Home
Taking the time to fully prepare your home for selling can make quite a difference in the time it could take to sell your home. It is recommended that you make some necessary repairs and improvements to help eliminate buyer objections before they arise. You can use the checklist suggested below and use this as a guide to help make for an expedited sale.
Yard Areas and Outdoor Space
- Spruce up your garden and lawn; trim shrubbery and replace dead plants.
- Yard and patio should be neat; outdoor furniture should be clean and in good shape.
- Manicure your front yard; make sure your driveway and entryway are free of clutter.
- Check to make sure the house numbers, mailbox and exterior lighting are in good condition.
- Touch-up with fresh paint as needed.
- Inspect chimney for cracks or earthquake damage.
- Repair loose trim, drain pipes and fencing.
- Clean stains and window screens.
- Apply fresh paint as needed. Think about brightening your interiors with neutral toned paint.
- Clean draperies and carpets.
- Replace burned out light bulbs.
- Sinks, appliances and counter tops should sparkle. Remove any clutter.
- Clean the oven, range and other appliances.
- Clean tile and grout; replace if necessary.
- Clean mirrors, glass, chrome and porcelain surfaces.
- Replace shower curtain if necessary.
- Fix any faucet drips or leaks.
- Clean grout and caulking; replace if necessary.
- Doors and drawers should open and close easily.
- Remove clutter; tidy up shelves and racks.
- Shoes and clothes should be neatly arranged.
- Check the basics around the house. It takes just a minute to check all doors, windows and cabinets to make sure they don’t stick, squeak or are too loose.
- Clean the fireplace and remove smoke stains from the wall and mantle.
- Clean your furnace and water heater, so buyers know they are looking at a house for sale that has been well maintained